Monday, September 12, 2011

I am new at this!

So, here I am...yup, I officially have a blog and have no idea what to write.  I sort of feel silly about just typing out thoughts of who, what, when, where and how's.  But I suppose this is the next step one should take to make that "connection".  I will start by telling you a little bit about myself and what I do...and hopefully, it will not be TOO boring :)

So, I make childrens clothing and accessories.  In truth, I never really thought I would do this, make kids clothing.  Sewing was the furthest thing from my mind.  I had my eyes set on becoming an Opera singer.  I spent my 20's in Europe working towards that dream.  But life happend and choices were made and I stopped singing.  I floated around a bit, from one retail job to the next.  My mom was sewing all the time, and wanted me to sew too.  I hated it.  Coming from a Hungarian background, embordering is very important to us.  Much of our National Costumes, Folk art comes from women sitting for hours upon end, with a needle and thread, creating some of the most beautiful hand work I have ever seen....my mom made me do that too!  Hated it!  I vowed never to pick up another needle and thread again.  Last November, after endless frustration of my daughters constant complaints about itchy clothing, I decided to make her a shirt (as a trial).  I went to the fabric store and bought a few yards of varied fabrics that were on sale.  With the guidance of my mother, I sat down to sew.  And much to my surprise,  I loved sewing, I loved the fact that I have this piece of fabric, just lying there several minutes ago and now it was a sleeve!  As I finally completed my first garment, I had this crazy rush.  It was so exciting to create something with my hands, nothing had ever given me such satisfaction before.  And although it took me a VERY long time to make that first garment, I loved and lived every second of it!  It was so odd that something that I hated so much, so many years ago, was now something that I loved.  I needed to be sure I really liked it as much as I thought.  So, I went back to the fabric store and picked out some more fabrics and a new pattern...my very first dress was about to be sewn and my excitement and anticipation was huge.  Yup...I was hooked, I was in love with sewing!  Who in a million years would have ever thought that I would be the sewer!
Now, almost a year since my first piece, still get that rush, when I pair together fabrics and start sewing!  I still have that feverish level of excitment and anticipation whenever I start sewing, creating something new!
My journey has just started and I hope that you all follow me on this journey called life. 

I love bold and colorful fabrics, prints and designs.  I am a mid-century modern freak.  I adore my daughter and husband.  Love Opera and Jazz and am a sucker for the classic American Songbook (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc...)  Am a movie junkie and love Ginger Ale, chinese food and really good creamy desserts.  I Want a dog and I want to finish designing and decorating my folyer!

 That's me :)

2 comments:

  1. {Love your story!}
    The first few blogs seem awkward and then all of sudden someone calls you a blogger.... thats all it takes : )
    Best of Luck to you.
    I wanted to share I also work for Tots To Teens Magazine if you'd ever like to share your work with us please email
    a.kidd@totstoteensmagazine.com
    we're currently working on our Winter Issue.
    And I'm your newest GF : )
    http://little-miss-aok-bowtique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete